body

Thank Bananas It's Friday ....


Dental Dilemmas


Not really that thankful this Friday, having one of my rare self pity sessions today.  Just got back from the Dentist after learning what I thought was a mouth ulcer, was in fact a small abscess.  

I'm now on a course of Antibiotics for 5 days, which I know from previous experience, is going to set of my IBS.  I hate taking Antibiotics and avoid them as much as possible, as there not great if you have digestive problems.  

I have also had to make an emergency appointment for the Dental Hospital, for next Monday.  I just started a new job over 3 months ago, and the appointment is during my shift.   I just hate mucking people about.  

In an attempt to avoid the side effects of the Antibiotics for those of us with IBS, I asked for a liquid solution instead of tablet form. 

(I'm lactose intolerant, and lactose is a
 common ingredient used to bulk out pills)

They must normally prescribe it too kids.  I've just taken my first dose, it's bright yellow and is banana flavoured......... Sometimes the universe has a strange sense of humour. 



First Experiment:


Banana peanut butter spread

This was more of an experiment than an actual recipe.  To my great surprise it worked.  

I have been on the late shift at work this week and really needed a power snack I could eat on the way to work.  I manage my IBS by eating little and often and generally do not go more than 4 hours without eating.  

I usually just spread my oatcakes with peanut butter, but I felt like experimenting this time.  Banana and peanut butter are a great combination anyway, but mixing them together is even better.  It makes them easier to spread and stops the peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.  

This is now my new favourite snack.  


Banana Peanut butter spread

- Take 1/2 large banana and mash

- Add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter

- Mix together well to achieve a spreadable consistency.  



Second Experiment:



Wholesome Whole wheat 
Banana Donuts

I bought whole wheat flour last week, planning to make scones.  However as usual my mind started to wonder what else I could make.  

I found this recipe for Vegan Whole wheat Muffins and wanted to see if it would work just as well as a baked Donut. 

I  have adapted the original recipe by adding more liquid, as the batter was too thick.  I also used half white flour and half wholemeal.  As using all wholemeal can make the finished result really heavy and stodgy.  

I added the banana's diced, since I usually mash them.  Again no particular reason than I wanted to see if it would work.

What you end up with is a lovely wholesome banana donut, perfect for breakfast.  The dried fruit and diced banana added the right amount of natural sweetness.  Every bite was different and adding the banana diced really worked.  


Sharabelles wholesome 
whole wheat banana donuts

1/2 Cup Plain white flour
3/4 Cup +  1 tbsp Whole wheat flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup Dairy free milk ( I use Soya milk)
1/4 Cup Caster sugar
1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup Dried fruit (I used Sultanas) 
1 small Banana or 1/2 large - Diced

- Pre-heat oven to 180 Celsius and use vegetable oil to grease a donut pan

- Measure out the flour and baking powder into a bowl.  Whisk together to evenly distribute the flour.  

- Add the dried fruit and diced banana, fold into the flour

- In a jug mix together the sugar, oil and dairy free milk.  Pour into the bowl with the flour and combine all the ingredients.  

- Scoop the batter into your baking tin.  I find using a tablespoon the easiest way.   If you don't have a donut tin, just use a muffin pan and call them donut holes.  

- Bake in your oven for 15 - 18 Min's.  If using a muffin pan 18 - 20 Min's baking time.



Finally found a positive side to this Friday writing this blog and remembering the great taste of these donuts, really helped take my mind of my pain  xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding