body

Thank Bananas It's NOT Friday



Bananas about bananas

Okay quick Re-cap - I gave myself the task of making as many recipes as possible using my favourite fruit the Banana.  Ohh and they had to be dairy free, since I am lactose Intolerant.


Friday at work was pay day, wayyhhaa.  Bad news it was everyone Else's pay day as well so work was major busy.   By the end of my shift I felt like I had just finished a workout at the gym.  Attempting to type my usual bananas about bananas blog, was just not going to happen.  Well I could have, but I very much doubt it would have been coherent.  

So Thank Banana's  it's NOT Friday.  




Banana Oatmeal Bar


I get bored baking and eating the same cakes and cookies, so I love trying out new recipes.  This time I was in the mood for some oatmeal, however I didn't want to make my usual Oatmeal and raisin cookies.  


First Recipe:

Baked Oatmeal snack Bar

The wet component of this recipe is the egg and skimmed milk.  To make dairy & egg free, I swapped them for mashed banana and soya milk.  

1 egg = 1/2 large banana or 1 small banana - mashed

You could add more mashed banana, just check your quantities using measuring cups.  Then top up the liquid balance with your favourite dairy free milk.

They tasted great, they just did not have a great texture.  They reminded me of a branded breakfast bar.  They did make a great energy snack for eating before and after a shift at work.  

It's an IBS thing, I need to eat at least every 4 hours to make sure my digestive system is never empty.  

The combination of the banana, oats and dried fruit give just the right amount of slow release energy to get you through the morning.   I enjoyed them, but I don't think they would be everyones cup of tea. 






Banana Bars


Second Recipe:

If there's one thing worse for my IBS than Sugar, it's Artificial sweeteners.  One of the most common Sorbitol has laxative like properties if too much is consumed.  

If you want more information, check out this link too NHS UK.  

After over indulging in sugar, while recipe testing my digestive system really needed a break. So I decided to look for snack recipes using dried fruit and nuts.  


Perspective on IBS spasms: An IBS stomach Spasm episode is = to doing 1000 sit ups, just without the benefit of the toned abs.   


I discovered this Banana Bars  recipe on a download for healthy snacks on Scribd. It's really easy to make and only has 3 ingredients.  Dates, ground almonds and banana's.  Mix together form into bars and dehydrate in a low oven for an hour.  

Okay they taste a lot better than they look, but it's the closest thing to making your own raw food Nakd Bars.  

Mine did not exactly firm up enough, so I basically had to rip portions off.  But mmmm it did taste good,  I  put the rest in the freezer for a 'Iv had a bad day' Snack.



Verdict:

Both recipe's have potential I just need to solve a few little problems.  Realistically your never going to make a recipe perfect the first time round.  So never let it put you off, I don't xxx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding