body

Thank Bananas it's Friday


Thank Bananas it's Friday
My ongoing mission to make as many dairy free recipes
  during 2013 as I can, using my favourite fruit the banana.

It's been another strange week, full of ups and downs.  Wednesday was the day from hell, If anything could go wrong it did.  It all started when I got soaked taking my brothers dog for a walk. Then my bus was late so I got to work 5 Min's before the start of my shift.  Totally threw me off and the rest of the day got progressively worse.  So This Friday, I'm thankful it's not Wednesday again ......

I am also really accident prone and find that incidents have a habit of accidentally happened to me as well.  So I'm extra glad it's Friday the 13th, as traditional nothing accidentally happens to me on this day of the year.  



First Recipe: 


Ultimate Powder Snack




When I'm on the closing shift at work, I leave the house at 12 noon to get there. Then depending on the buses I do not get back home till 6pm.  So I like to take a portable snack to eat on the bus, making sure that my IBS doesn't play up.  

Iv learnt the hard way that I need to eat little and often to avoid the dreaded stomach spasms.  

The average person would probably make a sandwich.  However I'm yeast intolerant as well  as lactose intolerant so no bread for me.  Instead I used my favourite Nairns Scottish Oatcakes. 

It's such a simple quick snack to make, that just tastes great and is really filling.  Giving me plenty energy for work.    



Easiest Snack Recipe ever....

2 Scottish Oat Cakes
crunchy Peanut butter
Homemade Dairy free chocolate spread
Banana - Sliced

- Spread one Oatcake with Peanut butter,
 then the other one with dairy free chocolate spread.

- Place banana slices on 1 half and sandwich together.



Second Recipe:

Vegan Banana fondant bites

Scottish Macaroon Recipe

One of our Traditional Scottish Sweets is Macaroon.  There nothing like the french kind made with Almonds.  Nope us Scots for years have mixed cold mashed potato with icing sugar, to make a really sweet fondant.  It's then covered in Chocolate and tossed in toasted coconut.  

Don't knock it till you try it, it's a great recipe for using up extra mashed potato's.  Also the large amount of sugar, hides the tastes of the tatties.  

So I go to thinking, If you can make it with Mashed tatties, why not mashed banana's?  

Banana Fondant bites

1/2 a large ripe Banana or 1 small banana
2 1/4 Cups Icing/powdered sugar
1 tbsp Cornflour
Pinch of salt


Dice up your banana and place in a food processor with 1 cup of the icing sugar & the cornflour.  Blitz together, then add the next Cup of icing sugar.  Continue till you have a firm fondant dough.   (Corn flour thickens the mix and also helps cut down the sweetness)

Roll into a log and chopped into little pillows.  Place on a sheet of greaseproof paper sprinkled with more icing sugar.  

Cover lightly with a clean tea towel and leave to dry out overnight.  Turn over to allow the other side to dry as well.  

You are left with a very sweet fondant that still has the a lovely banana taste.  Sugar is a preservative so the banana does not oxidise and turn brown.  


To turn these into proper Scottish macaroons.  After they have dried out and firmed up, coat in cooled melted chocolate and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.  



Vegan Banana & peanut butter Whirls


While surfing the Internet I also discovered a similar recipe for Banana & peanut butter Candy.  So I kept half of my banana fondant and rolled it out before spreading it with peanut butter.  I then carefully rolled them into a log and cut into small pillows again.  

I love the peanut butters whirls, there like mini Swiss rolls.  The peanut butter balances helps balance out the sweetness of the banana fondant.  Making this my favourite version so far.

I have 3 months left on my Banana mission and there are still plenty of recipes for me to road test, Ill keep you all posted xxxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding