body

Tea loaf without the tea - Dairy free


Orange and cranberry loaf
 After baking my soda bread scones the other day, I was left with a whole orange without the zest and the remaining dried cranberry's.  What to do????  Why bake some more........

I decided to bake a tea loaf cake to take on holiday.   I figure that a loaf cake has the best chance of surviving a trip in a luggage hold. Rather than Cake or muffins, which are more likely to crumble.  It also gives me something to eat when we arrive, in case the flights delayed. 

Family and friends have talked me out of packing a carton of soya milk, in case it explodes.  Not sure if that's true or not, but the idea of unpacking soaked clothes did put me off the idea.

Slight over kill maybe, but along with IBS food intolerance's I also have an anxiety disorder.  The more prepared I am, the less stressed I'll get.  The less stressed I am, the less stress my mum will be.

I really enjoyed taste testing this one, the orange, dried cranberry's and spices together are really festive.  Would be great toasted and served with dairy free marg or if you eat egg's, try using it to make christmas breakfast french toast. 

You'll need to remember to soak your fruit overnight, or you could prepare it in the morning and bake your cake later in the day.  The dried cranberry's soak up the orange juice and get nice and plump. 


Orange and cranberry loaf cake

1 Orange juiced + soda water = to make 1/2 pint of liquid
(or use a carton of fresh orange juice)
100g Dried Cranberry's
50 - 100g  Light Brown soft sugar
250g Flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Mixed spice (optional)
1 egg or egg substitute

Pre-heat oven too 180 Celsius, grease and line a loaf tin. 

In a jug measure out your preferred liquid.  Either all Orange juice or a combination, depends on your own taste and what you have on hand. Then add the dried cranberry's and sugar, leave to soak over night. 

Measure out your dry ingredients into a bowl, flour, spice and baking powder.  Use a whisk to combine, this will also lighten the mix.  (Saves having to sift the flour)

Add an egg or egg subb to your cranberry and orange mix.  Make a well in the centre of your baking bowl and pour in the wet ingredients.  Mix together well, to evenly distribute the dried fruit.

Pour into your loaf tin, and level with a spatula.  Place in your oven to bake.

A  tea loaf normally takes 50 Min's to an 1 hour to bake.  Mine always bake quicker so Check after 40 Min's.  Use a  skewer or tooth pick to check that it's baked.  Allow to cool in the tin for 10 Min's, before moving to a wire cooling rack. 

Leave to totally cool before slicing, as It may crumble if too warm. 

TODAY'S
TOP TIPS.

- Instead of sifting flour, place all your dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk.  This adds air to the lighten the flour mix.  (I Picked up this tip from a food network show Dessert first.

- Easy egg substitutes.  1 tbsp of ground linseed's, mixed with 3 tbsp of cold water, leave for 5 Min's.
or 1 tbsp Soya flour, mixed with 3 tbsp of cold water, can be used straights away. 

- Place a clean tea towel on top of your wire rack, before cooling your cake.  This prevents the cake getting wire marks on the base. 

- Cool totally before cutting or decorating, unless otherwise stated in a recipe.  Some times a cake needs to be warm to absorb sugar syrup. 

- Freezing. Leave to cool completely before freezing. Leave the tea loaf whole or cut in half, then wrap in greaseproof paper before placing in a air tight container or freezer bag. 

- Don't be afraid too Experiment in the kitchen, try using different liquids in your cooking.  They will still work if your keep the same quantity of liquid.  When making cakes you could change the type of dairy free milk you use to create new flavours.  You could try using almond milk or chocolate soya milk. 

-  If like me you can't have alcohol, work out if you really need it for the recipe.  Or when soaking fruits, switch the booze for fresh orange juice. 

Happy baking xxxx






Comments

  1. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Anxiety Disorders, Back Pain, Crohn's Disease, Chronic renal failure, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease, back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia disease, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How not to make a pineapple upside down cake

Scottish Tablet - Dairy free & Vegan

Curdled Rice pudding